Compensation for cycling injuries caused by faulty brake repairs
26th June 2013 by Bike Legal
The ability to stop while travelling is the most important aspect of safety, which is why making sure your brakes work is a vital part of ensuring you don’t become involved in an accident. Having fully-functioning brakes can mean the difference between life and death, because if you can’t bring yourself to a stop then you could collide with an obstacle or another road user.
If you believe that your brakes haven’t been properly repaired and you have been injured as a result, then you could be in line for some form of compensation. It is the repairman’s duty to ensure that you bike is fully operational, so if they pass its inspection when it shouldn’t have, then you could make a claim against them.
Where could an incident such as this occur?
If your brakes are faulty then you are leaving yourself open to a potential injury and as such you could be eligible to make a claim. Situations where this could occur include:
· Injuries caused by a faulty brake
· Injuries caused by a poorly repaired brake
· Injuries caused by faulty bicycle parts
· Injuries caused by a negligent bike repair job
· Injuries caused by a bicycle which breaks easily
Who could you make a claim against in this situation?
If you have sent your bike off for repairs and you have been injured as a result of their negligence, then you could be eligible to make a claim against them. There are a number of people who you could make a claim against, but the most obvious would be the repair man or the bike’s manufacturer. Faulty brakes are a serious issue and they could have life altering affects, so making a claim against the person responsible could really help you, because you shouldn’t have to suffer in silence.
What type of compensation claim could be made?
· Hospital costs and bills – medical bills can be incredibly expensive, and if you have been the victim in this way then you could look to make a claim for compensation
· Suffering and trauma – you may have been through a great deal of pain and trauma as a result of your accident and accordingly you could consider a claim for compensation
· Income loss and loss of earnings – you may have suffered from substantial loss of income and earnings and you may want to make a claim as a result.